Monday, September 13, 2010

Mike A. Week One- WWB Fall 2010

What up!? My name's Mike Adler, also known as Mike A., and I'm majoring in the Audio Arts and Acoustics field here at Columbia College. When I think about my Web Writing experience I realize that it is very limited. My personal experiences with writing have all revolved around my academic life where, majorly, I would write essays and lab-write ups for my English and my science classes. Web Writing, however, is a completely different genre of writing altogether. The extent of my Web Writing experience is through the little amount of writing used on the social network that we have all heard of, Facebook. I am not a big Facebook person like many people of my generation are, but I do think it's a useful tool to stay in-touch with friends and family as well as to network with people and get your name out there (which can be good or bad as you could probably assume). The writing that I have done on Facebook, like with most people and any social networking site, is very different from writing for the World Wide Web and I can tell because, in making my first blog, it takes MUCH more thinking, rather than just throwing a few words together describing "what's on your mind". I can see that Web Writing is different from writing an essay for English class because it seems to be less formal, but also because, rather than stretching things out into several pages, the goal is to keep it short and enticing. Since I have very limited experience with writing for the Web I'm both nervous and excited. Nervous because of my lack of experience but excited to learn an important skill that will benefit me greatly in today's Internet-driven society. So let's have a good semester and help each other get better at writing for the Web! Search Mike Adler on Facebook and add me as a friend if you want to get to know me outside of our class blog(s)...

2 comments:

  1. Mike:

    Interesting, but this blog should also be devoted to attending to WWB assignments--the first of which you seemed to miss. Check our Moodle site for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I realize I was COMPLETELY missing the target with that orginal post. I hope this one is better...

    ReplyDelete