Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My PWP- How I Chose My Project

Image source: http://srika.com/img/chicago_hdr/chicago_hdr_west02_1280.jpg


Where I Started: After reading the assignment description for this semester-long project I knew I had to do something that would keep me interested, but more importantly interest others. I had the original idea, which I said in class last week, of using the barcodes that we were talking about and creating a sort of blog that would open up when scanned where people are asked to tell what they were doing at the time they saw and scanned the barcode. This initially sounded like a fun project but I started to feel like it wouldn't catch on very well since not everybody has the technology to scan barcodes and, mainly, because I feel that most people (not being aware of this new use of barcodes) would not think twice about a random barcode stuck on something in city full of graffitied walls, "lost" posters, "wanted" ads, and whatever else you find sprawled upon the canavas of Chicago. So I kept brainstorming...

Where I Am Now: The idea that I finally decided to go with was inspired by an activity that I did with my Audio Production 1 class. We were divided into pairs and were sent outside with portable recording devices and a list of ten random words ("red", "ghost", "sparkle", and "interrupt" were a few). We were instructed to record sound-clips around the city for each word. Each group was then asked to play one of their sound-clips, with every group playing a different one of the given word-topics. In the end every group played their recording for their word simulteneously, creating a blend of noises and sounds that mimicked the outdoor-noises of Chicago.The final product sounded similar to this. After doing this activity I realized that I could apply it to my PWP through a blog. My idea is to record different sounds from around the city each week, posting one audio clip each week and writing about what it is, where I was, and how it reminds me of Chicago. On the final week I plan to post an audio-clip with all of the tracks from the previous weeks layered together and playing at the same time. I will conclude by writing about how that final track of every recording playing at the same time sounds, to me, like Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment