Monday, October 11, 2010

Profile Me

"New Member? Create Your Profile!"

I think that it is safe to say we have all seen something along these lines more than once in our lifetime. In making a personal profile for a website I, personally, always keep in mind how public the internet is. This is why I tend to be more vague when creating a profile, so that I am not allowing people who don't know me to learn as much about my personal life. I know that this is not the case for everybody and I'm sure even some of you put a lot of personal information about yourself in your web profiles. For me though, privacy is crucial. Another crucial thing in creating a profile is recognizing what I will be using that specific website for so that I can create my profile accordingly.

 For instance, with Facebook I knew that I would be using the website to keep in touch with friends as well as meeting friends of friends. Therefor, I knew I didn't want to put very much personal information in my profile since the people that I would want to be viewing it already know a good amount about me and the people that I don't know do not get to learn my life story in reading it. However, with this blog I knew I would be using it for class and to hopefully network with all of you, my fellow Columbia students. For this reason I geared my personal profile for this blog towards my major and what I hope to be my career. I think that the way I have created my profile does effect the way that I write on that website. With Facebook my writing is extremely short and has very little meaning for the reasons I stated above. In this blog, though, my writing tends to be more academic while still including some personality so that all of you are able to understand a little bit more about how I think. Overall, in creating a profile for any website, purpose and privacy are my main concerns.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in the "very little meaning" comment. Do you mean that you write without concerning yourself about whether what's you've written is understood? (=)

    ReplyDelete